We cannot let the ANC silently slip the Expropriation Bill past the public and into law.
If the Expropriation Bill is allowed, the ANC government will be able to take anything you own and claim it’s of “public interest”.
This does not just refer to land. The ANC’s proposal would undermine your right to own all kinds of property – be it a car or a house, or even intellectual property.
Sign this petition to show your support for the DA’s work to stop this bill in its tracks.
Here are some of the DA’s concerns with the Expropriation Bill:
- It has a list of five circumstances where zero compensation could be paid but it allows government to extend this list endlessly.
- It offers government near unlimited powers to simply expropriate personal property – even going so far as to suggest that copyrighted and patented property could be at risk.
- It is weighted in favour of the ANC government, whose reputation for greed precedes them.
- It provides very little in terms of oversight opportunity by experts to ensure fairness to ordinary South Africans.
- It will clearly and severely impact property rights and cannot be trusted in its present form to a corrupt government.